Forgive me. I’ve done it again. I didn’t click on the “Skip Ad” button. Instead, I let some guy in green scrubs convince me he is a doctor who has devoted his life to discovering why traditional dieting methods do not work. Well, surprise surprise! I knew that. I didn’t need some Internet doctor to tell me that. But I let him. Yep, I even let myself watch his entire presentation. It was so typical of what seems like hundreds of similar videos I’ve watched on YouTube.
These video diatribes are all the same. They’re made up of the following elements:
- An expert, usually a doctor or nutritionists
- A confession by the expert regarding how he or she was once overweight and tried every diet routine without any success. Said expert decided to take the matter into his/her own hands.
- There is some contrived name for the condition you are suffering from. It could be “leaky gut,” “cell hell,” “fat packs,” “flop glop” or whatever.
- There’s almost always a number involved….5 usually is that number. The expert explains there are 5 things you: shouldn’t do or shouldn’t eat; should do or should eat. All 5 are then explained in detail.
- There’s a back story. This segment is long and repetitive. It explains all the things that are wrong with other dieting methods and why. It then illustrates how the expert went through all kinds of research and testing that led to several definitive conclusions…once more, usually 5 of them.
- By now you have just about accepted belief in everything the expert has told you. You are ripe for pickin’ and the guy in the green scrubs knows it. Time for the big reveal.
- The expert concludes there is a formula of elements (usually 3 this time) that, when combined, will have you consistently losing weight over the next 3-to-6 months. Considerable time is devoted to explaining the particulars of each element, none of which has a name you can pronounce.
- Dr. Whatsizname knows that if you have stayed with him this long—and it will seem like half a day–you are ready for the even bigger reveal: the cost! Now, not to worry–the initial price is always outrageous. But since you have devoted so much of your time to the good doctor’s presentation you are to be rewarded with a special price for today only. No matter what amounts of your hard-earned money are requested, the final price for a 30-day supply almost always is $49. If you purchase a 3-month supply, you can get an even lower price.
Okay, there it is and it is what it is: usually a thoroughly compelling presentation that is overwhelmingly convincing that you have finally stumbled upon the ultimate remedy for getting rid of all that fat you’ve accumulated over the past few years. Yep, in 90 days you will weight less, be healthier, and feelin’ a whole lot better about yourself.
Forgive me. I’ve done it again. I will check back with you in 30 days.